May 29, 2006

Welding logistics

I was hoping to find a lowball freelance welder to do a tiny side job that would take 15 minutes at most. But the guy who showed up was totally unqualified. Regular mobile welders charge about $75 an hour with a two-hour minimum plus mileage. That's like $180 for 15 minutes -- does not make any sense. So now I have to modify my logistical strategy and have a welder come just once.

I'll have to rent a device to lift the beam, get my assistant available on the same day, have every component prepared in advance, then schedule the welder to come out at the same time.

The challenge is not only figuring a way to hoist the beam up in position, but to do so soon after the base is welded. Once the base is fixed, I can remove the bracing to cut the tail rafter making way for the beam. As shown in the photo, it's directly in line. The beam will be above the wall light, which will be removed, and stay about a half inch from the siding. Then it needs to be braced from getting pushed laterally because that will still be the weak direction.

See previous post.

No comments: