May 7, 2006

Carson myoporum

For my challenging soils, an "invasive" type tree seems okay. I have an isolated spot for it. This fills the last square hole in the south side yard. The nearest plant is the Tenuifolium. I must admit I'm curious what would happen after several years.

Note the stabilizing posts towards the rear, which is the only way I could fit it this time. As a result, I had to fabricate a fancy shelf-anchor for the rubber straps. Perhaps too pretty as tree staking? Oh well, that's me.



Myoporum laetum 'carsonii'
Carson Myoporum
a.k.a. Sandalwood


Rapid-growing, rounded, low canopy evergreen tree with dense, glossy, dark green, linear to ovate shaped leaves and thick, furrowed bark. USDA hardiness 9-10. Loam or sandy soil, full sun, maximum height of about 35 feet, can grow at a rate of 36 inches per season. Summer purple or white flowers. Fall purple or red small fruit (0.25-0.50 inch), which can be messy and is poisonous. Note: The species is classified as a most invasive pest plant by CalEPPC (California Exotic Pest Plants). Listed under category A-2; documented as aggressive invaders that displace natives and disrupt natural habitats. Habitats of concern are horticultural; coastal riparian areas in South Coast.

15-gallon size from Home Depot $45

No comments: