Sep 16, 2006

Brick garden walls

When a landscape wall is nonstructural (as in not a retaining wall), it's generally called a "garden wall." This here is a garden wall. It happens to include a planter area, but even without it, it would still be called a garden wall. Most important is that garden walls need no special engineering.

Mine is primarily for appearance. It defines a space at the entry.

But because of the highly visible location, it was too intense for me to build myself. I've never built a brick wall before. It takes some special skill. So I did some search to find a mason. Again it's one of those small jobs too trivial for full-time masons yet too important to entrust to just any landscape handyman. Good thing I wasn't in a rush. I found a union-trained mason's apprentice who did a wonderful job. In two days I got this near-perfect project.

As usual, click on the image to see the previous post -- in this case, the original design rendering.

No comments: