Sep 24, 2006

False beam

In order to add more "enclosure" under the shed roof, I created this decorative beam (beige in the photo). Bottom edge is horizontal. This was not entirely preconceived in the drawings. I'm glad I found a way to fit it properly. Without it, the sloping rafters alone would define the new structure, appearing to extend straight to the outermost board, and that would make the addition seem less substantial. Having a beam at the corner also allows the ceiling material (on which I'm undecided at this point) to terminate at an inside corner.

Beam thickness was important, so I sandwiched three 1x redwoods to create a lightweight 2-inch board. It also hides a lot of holes and gaps at the existing corner. The underside of the roof overhang was then covered with 1x8 shiplap pine boards, which I don't want to use again. It bows too much when dried. Still need to touch up with brown paint, I notice.

No comments: