Oct 12, 2006

Dirt hauling

Today was dirt hauling day to fill the planter area.

My calculations indicated I needed 1 cubic yard of soil. American Soil in Richmond sells a high quality "general landscape" for $35/cu.yd. (also $5.25 per 2cu.ft. bag). My trailer has a capacity of 1.4 cu.yd. if filled to the brim of its 15 inch fence; however, that's beyond its listed axle capacity because the soil weighs 1,500 pounds per cu.yd.

What I discovered was that the bucket size of the front loader carries a bit more than 1 cubic yard, so ordering 1 results in close to 1.3! Even more so if you're friendly with the guy at the yard. I think while coming back on the freeway I heard the axle buckling. Then when I got back and shoveled it all in, I still had a wheelbarrow-ful left over!

Today was all pushing the limits.

No comments: