Nov 22, 2005

Surround sound

HDTV is not complete without Dolby Digital. It has to be at least a 5.1 system (five speakers + one subwoofer). Good thing I installed a bunch of 16-gauge speaker wires in the wall and attic during the closet removal on the other side. For the two rears I first thought of flush in-ceiling speakers. But that would require a custom system, and aiming the sound would still be questionable. My office in-wall speakers sound great, but the walls here are exterior -- there's insulation and a header beam to deal with.

So I decided to get a bundled system (sometimes referred to as HTIB or Home Theater In a Box) with wall-mountable satellites. I got the same make as the TV, which allows use of just one remote. I made triangular boxes so that simple wall-mounting brackets could be used, aiming was more versatile, and wiring easily routed from the ceiling. For its shape and size I had to consider the future window trim and crown moulding. I think it looks okay.

HDTV has to be experienced to be appreciated. There are many levels of quality. Digital is all-or-nothing. There's never poor picture (displays vary, but that's a different matter) -- if the signal is weak there's just no picture at all. Not all digital is HD. Not all HD takes advantage of rear speakers. Not all DVD players can upconvert to near-HD resolution. And proper HDMI and optical cabling becomes noticeable. But once everything is in place, the results are truly amazing.

Now Monday Night Football crowds scream from behind.



Check HD programming in your area.

No comments: