Aug 7, 2006

Tiles at skylight

At any roof penetration, shaping the tiles is definitely a challenge. This particular skylight is not too important because it's exterior space below, but the proper procedures in controlling rainwater runoff had to be followed. It's good practice for me because I plan to install a similar skylight in the kitchen.
The toughest pieces to cut and fold are the ones at upslope and downslope. They require folding across the scallops and around two corners. From lessons learned the other day, I created a wooden jig shaped to mimic the tile contours to use as anvil. Hammering the tile edges just enough resulted in a curved fold that maintains the tile width and not flare out or crease together. It's almost an art. Proper-height battens underneath support it from collapsing in.

This is not for the short attention span. I had to simultaneously consider the low pitch angle by shimming the battens for potential puddling of rainwater on each scallop, figure a way to install a flashing skirt that would fit snug all around, and how to attach the skylight itself since the entire height of the 2x6 curb is taken up. I think I have a solution.

No comments: